The Firsts Empires
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ϝirsts εmpires Ϝirsts εmpires

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Other suggestions
The Tutorial Database EmptyThu May 05, 2016 12:45 pm by davidvp

» We Are Hiring
The Tutorial Database EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 8:08 pm by Tzommar

» AoE3: FE - News
The Tutorial Database EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:33 pm by Tzommar

» AoE3: FE - News
The Tutorial Database EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm by Tzommar

» THE ANCIENTE AGE BASE
The Tutorial Database EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 11:43 pm by Tzommar

» Cartago, A Imperatriz dos Mares
The Tutorial Database EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 1:34 pm by Tzommar

» Cultura Punico-Romana
The Tutorial Database EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 1:01 pm by Tzommar

» Age of Empires III: Fists Empires - Introdução
The Tutorial Database EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 12:32 pm by Tzommar

» Official Poll - Early Military Units
The Tutorial Database EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 4:05 pm by Tzommar

The Tutorial Database

Go down

The Tutorial Database Empty The Tutorial Database

Post by Tzommar Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:26 pm

I think it's well known the Tutorial Database made by peugeot407. In it Lord Kitchener, describes many modding tutorials on AoE 3. We will reproduce it here.

Given how AoE3H's community is becoming smaller and smaller and most modding questions these days are asked on these forums, I thought I'd repost my updated Tutorial Database here.

The Tutorial Database Header-12
by peugeot407

Welcome to the Tutorial Database, a list of all tutorials written on the subject of Age of Empires III modding. They have been ranked according to difficulty and split into three categories, Beginner, Advanced and Expert. It is recommended to read Beginner tutorials first, before advancing to more advanced levels of modding.

For convenience's sake, the tutorials have been given special tags to give some more information about them. The basic tutorials that are needed for many different sorts of modding and can be advised to everyone are labeled Modding Essentials. Tutorials that are really easy to understand, even for secondary or tertiary speakers of the language are labeled Simple English, this also applies to translations of the tutorial. Lastly, tutorials are also labeled according to their age, with Very Old signifying that a tutorial may no longer have working pictures or that its writer may no longer be part of the community, while tutorials tagged as Brand New will likely have excellent support, with the writer still very much around and available for questions. Tutorials tagged as Monologue use a monologue format. It doesn't help with understanding the tutorial, but it is epic and worth mentioning and generally just really rather fantastic. Tutorials tagged Video are video tutorials rather than traditional text-based ones.

The Tutorial Database Spacer-1

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Introduction to modding"
Creator: BilboBeutlin
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Main Site
Description: The most basic of basic tutorials, this tutorial does little more than tell you exactly what modding actually is. It also includes some useful tricks
Tags: Modding Essentials, Simple English
Requirements: Basic knowledge of English
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: For true raw recruits without any experience, this is a real must-read.

What programs do I need to start modding?
Well, modding is mostly about editing XML files, so you will need a proper programmer's notepad. Windows' Notepad will work, but another tool worth trying is Notepad++. Bear in mind you can also use your notepad to edit XS and TACTICS files.

Secondly, if you want to alter any textures in the game, you'll need Graphics software like Adobe Photoshop or Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro. GIMP will also work, with the added advantage of it being free.

Lastly, although it's perhaps the most important program in modding, is AoE3Ed The Tutorial Database Oswindows for Windows The Tutorial Database Osmac or Mac. It consists of two little tools, one can be used to view and extract BAR files, the other can be used to convert XML to XMB and TGA to DDT (and vice versa).

Does modding require any skills?
Not really. A basic understanding of how XML works might come in useful, as might some experience in working with Photoshop-like software. None of this is strictly needed though, as most AoE3 material is really easy to understand, and you'll probably have grip on it in a few.

I can't play on ESO2 with my modded game. Why is this?
Modding is all about Single Player and LAN Multiplayer. Multiplayer through ESO2 would work, but ES (the makers of AoE3) cut us off there. Not too surprising either, given the fact that all players require exactly the same game version for a multiplayer match to work.

I've modded AoE3, now when I start the game I get a message box saying "Initialization Failed"!
Read the first few posts of this discussion, and you should know how to fix it.

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Creating a Decent Idea"
Creator: Pepp
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english War of the Triple Alliance Forums
Description: This tutorial does not talk about the process of actual modding, but rather about what comes before that, thinking of good and usable ideas.
Tags: Brand New, Modding Essentials
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Good ideas are the key to innovation. Imagine where we'd be if we hadn't invented khaki and would still run about in scarlet uniforms!

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "The most important tutorial of all"
Creator: Lord Tahattus
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Forums, The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish Clan Spetsnaz
Description: This tutorial describes exactly how Age of Empires III handles modded files. Be that sound, art or data files, XMLs, DDTs or BARs, this one covers it all.
Tags: Modding Essentials, Monologue
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: A proper command structure is everything. This is just like it, I think...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Using the Granny Viewer"
Creator: peugeot407
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Forums, The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish Clan Spetsnaz, The Tutorial Database Languages_dutchKnights and Barbarians forums
Description: This tutorial gives a short summary of what a modder can do with the Granny Viewer, a powerful tool that's often overlooked.
Tags: Modding Essentials, Monologue
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Granny Viewer software
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: This is for looking at models! Don't start taking a three-hundred and sixty degree look at real grannies...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Creating a new Unit I"
Creator: Argalius
Description: Not surprisingly, this tutorial tells you how to create a brand new unit for the game. Don't worry, it's easier than you think.
Tags: Simple English, Very Old
Requirements: Basic knowledge of English, Very basic knowledge of XML code
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Military innovation, I like it. Go and create those new units!

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Creating a new Unit II"
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english Eye Candy Guild
Description: This tutorial is slightly older than that of Argalius, but still useful. It's probably a bit easier to understand if you're not too familiar with XML, that's a plus.
Tags: Simple English
Requirements: Basic knowledge of English
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: More new units? Yes, please!

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Everything related to sound"
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Forums, The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish Clan Spetsnaz
Description: This easy tutorial tells you all you need to know about sound in Age of Empires III, not only the actual sound files, but also the XML files that control them.
Tags: Monologue
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: The noise of cannon fire is as much a nuisance as a boon. Scares the enemy blind, you see...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Homecity Editing"
Creator: irishlegend8
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Main Site, The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish Clan Spetsnaz
Description: Every AoE3 player must at one point have looked at level 40 homecity cards in jealousy. Well, there's a way to reach them without playing with that HC for the rest of your life. This tutorial explains how.
Tags: Simple English, Very Old
Requirements: Basic knowledge of English, Basic knowledge of XML code
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: I myself prefer the front lines, but support from the home city is truly crucial. Get working on it.

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Adding a custom flag"
Creator: ToMyBoy
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english HeavenGames Forums
Description: A tutorial that explains how to change the flags on top of buildings. It's jolly old and the pictures don't work, but it might be useful nonetheless.
Tags: Very old
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in using graphics software like Photoshop
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: A well placed Union Jack can demoralise the enemy like no soldier can.

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Understanding animfiles"
Description: A tutorial that explains how animfiles work. It goes to great detail, and explains everything in a really basic way.
Tags: Brand New, Monologue
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: How can one work without understanding his equipment? This should prevent that from happening...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_1Beginner "Guide to AI Scripting"
Creator: murdilator
Description: This tutorial explains in basic steps how to create and modify AI Scripts. It consists of two parts, the link to the second part is at the bottom of the first.
Tags: -
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: It would be foolish not to educate our allies in how to properly manage their armies...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Texturing"
Creator: Tilanus Commodor
Description: Texturing isn't hard, and pretty self-explanatory, but there are certain things you should know about it. You guessed it, they're in this tutorial.
Tags: Simple English
Requirements: Basic knowledge of English, Experience in using graphics software like Photoshop
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Every once in a while, uniforms have to be reconsidered, don't you agree? Don't forget to add khaki...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Player Colour and Transparency"
Description: Player colour and transparency are both extremely useful in creating textures. This tutorial will tell you all about them
Tags: Brand New
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Colour? I'll have khaki. Mess dress should still be scarlet, of course.

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Texturing Issues"
Description: Texturing is quite ok, but if you're having problems with your texture's XML file they're often hard to find. Read this tutorial if you want to give it a try
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Ah, proper difficulties, and a lack of luck. They truly test one's skill...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Creating proper flags"
Description: Creating ingame flags is a difficult business. Unless you've read this tutorial, then it's easy
Tags: Brand New
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: The Union Jack is a glorious little flag, don't you agree?

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Cultures"
Description: This tutorial explains what you have to do to get your brand new civ a unique set of buildings. It's a bit bugged, sorry for that.
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in working with XML code
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Frankly, if Paris had a parliament looking just like that of glorious London, the world would be a bland old place...

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "Enabling arbitrary units to gather and claim resources"
Creator: BilboBeutlin
Description: Ever wondered why military units can't pick up treasures? Well, they can! After you've been through this tutorial, that is.
Tags: Very Old
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in working with XML code
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: There's no denying that looting is an efficient way of keeping an army going. Take those treasures!

The Tutorial Database Ranks_2Advanced "RM Scripting"
Creator: M0nTy_PyTh0n
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english M925 Studios
Description: This is a really basic tutorial on RM scripting, that explains pretty much everything about creating RMs. It is not very concise, though.
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: What a brilliant idea, to create brand new battlefields from scratch!

The Tutorial Database Ranks_3Expert "Importing custom 3D models"
Creator: Yomgui
URL: The Tutorial Database Languages_english Napoleonic Era Forums
Description: Adding custom 3D models to AoE3 has long been deemed impossible, but it's not, it turns out. Read this tutorial to see how.
Requirements: 3DS Max 7 software, Exportron plugin for 3DS Max, Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in working with 3D modeling applications
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Importing attachments? Surely that doesn't mean I am going to have to wear a pickelhaube?

The Tutorial Database Ranks_3Expert "Modeling"
Creator: arcalion
Description: You already knew how to import new models, this tutorial will take you through their creation.
Requirements: 3DS Max 8 software, Granny Viewer, GLXtractor, Photoshop, Granny Import/Export Plugin for 3DS Max, Nominal knowledge of English
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: Adding new models? Getting ambitious, are we?

The Tutorial Database Ranks_3Expert "Creating a new civilisation I"
Creator: Argalius
Description: It is possible to add new civilisations to AoE3, though it is hard and quite labourous. Overcome those issues, then read this tutorial.
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in working with XML code, Daring to alter things that might ruin your game if you do them wrong
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: A new civilisation? Let's just make sure it is under proper British patronage.

The Tutorial Database Ranks_3Expert "Creating a new civilisation II"
Description: This tutorial is slightly easier to understand than the one above. Still, adding a nation is no peanuts.
Requirements: Nominal knowledge of English, Experience in working with XML code, Daring to alter things that might ruin your game if you do them wrong
The Tutorial Database Opinion-1 Kitchener says: More new civilisations? Will there be an empire left after all this???

Tutorials only available in other languages

The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish Changing the game's language
The Tutorial Database Languages_spanish 3D Modeling with Blender
The Tutorial Database Languages_germanHow does modding work?

In case you are aware of any tutorials that have not yet been listed, please tell me, and I'll endeavour to make sure it's added to the list. I mean to keep this database as complete a list as possible, so any help with it will be hugely appreciated.

peugeot407

In the category of pointless information, here's a list of who's written the most tutorials:

1. Tahattus (7)
2. peugeot407 (4)
3. Argalius and BilboBeutlin (2)
4. Everybody else (1)

Tzommar
Tzommar
Suffet
Suffet

https://thefirtsempires.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum